In a well-organized kitchen, everything has its place. But when it comes to paper towels, they often end up cluttering countertops or exposed on a holder, disrupting the aesthetic harmony of your kitchen. If you’re looking for creative and stylish ways to hide paper towels in your kitchen, you’ve come to the right place.
Keeping your kitchen tidy and organized is essential for a functional and aesthetic space. Paper towels are a kitchen staple, but their unsightly presence can be an eyesore. While undeniably handy, they can be a bit of an eyesore when left out in the open or hanging on a dispenser. Let’s delve into some innovative solutions to this common problem.
In this article, we’ll explore various methods and DIY ideas to effectively hide paper towels in your kitchen without compromising convenience.
8 Ways to Hide Paper Towels in Your Kitchen:
Hiding paper towels in the kitchen can help you to maintain a clean and organized appearance. Here are a few ways to do so:
Method 1: Under the Sink
Place a paper towel holder or a stack of paper towels under the kitchen sink. You can use a tension rod or adhesive hooks to hang the holder on the inside of the cabinet door for easy access. here are the steps to install a paper towel holder under the sink in brief:
- Pick a suitable location inside the cabinet under the sink.
- Mark Mounting Holes: Measure and mark where you want to install the holder.
- Mounting Bracket: Attach the mounting bracket with screws to the marked spots.
- Attach Paper Towel Holder: Place the paper towel holder on the bracket and secure it.
- Test It: Ensure the holder is secure, and paper towels can be pulled smoothly.
- Adjust as Needed: Make any height or alignment adjustments if necessary.
- Load Paper Towels: Insert a fresh roll of paper towels into the holder.
This quick guide should help you install a paper towel holder conveniently under your kitchen sink.
Method 2: Hide paper towels in kitchen cabinets:
Dedicate a cabinet or drawer for paper towels. Store them vertically in the cabinet or roll them up neatly and place them inside a drawer. You can use a drawer organizer to keep them in place. Here are the steps to do it:
- Choose a Cabinet: Select a cabinet with enough space for paper towels.
- Measure Height: Measure and mark the desired height for your paper towel holder.
- Install Holder: Attach a paper towel holder inside the cabinet at the marked height.
- Secure Screws: Secure the holder using screws or adhesive strips.
- Load Paper Towels: Insert a roll of paper towels onto the holder.
- Close Cabinet: Close the cabinet door, keeping paper towels hidden yet accessible.
Method 3: In a Pantry or Utility Closet:
If you have a pantry or utility closet in your kitchen, you can keep a stock of paper towels there. Store them on a shelf or use a storage bin or basket to keep them organized. Steps to Install Paper Towels in a Pantry or Utility Closet:
- Select Location: Choose a suitable spot in your pantry or closet, ensuring it’s easily reachable and convenient.
- Mount Holder: Install a paper towel holder on the wall or inside the door, using screws and anchors if necessary.
- Test Stability: Ensure the holder is securely attached by lightly tugging the paper towels.
- Load Paper Towels: Place a new roll of paper towels onto the holder.
- Organize Extras: Store additional paper towel rolls in a nearby bin or shelf for easy access.
Method 4: On the Side of Appliances:
Attach a paper towel holder to the side of your refrigerator, microwave, or other kitchen appliances. This can make it easily accessible while keeping it relatively hidden. Installing a paper towel holder on the side of appliances or inside a closet can be a space-saving and practical solution. Here are the steps:
- Choose Location: Pick a suitable spot on the side of an appliance (e.g., refrigerator or microwave) or inside a closet.
- Mark points: Use a pencil to mark where you’ll place the paper towel holder’s screws or brackets.
- Attach Holder: Secure the paper towel holder using screws or brackets, following the product’s instructions.
- Load Paper Towels: Insert a roll of paper towels into the holder.
- Test & Adjust: Ensure it’s securely attached and easy to access, then adjust if necessary.
- Keep It Handy: Enjoy convenient access to paper towels while saving counter or cabinet space.
Method 5: Inside a Wall-Mounted Dispenser:
Consider installing a wall-mounted paper towel dispenser in a convenient location, such as under a cabinet or on the wall. This can help save counter and cabinet space.
- Choose Location: Select a suitable, easily accessible spot inside your closet where you want to mount the dispenser.
- Mark Hole Locations: Use a pencil to mark the holes for the dispenser’s mounting bracket on the closet wall.
- Mount Bracket: Attach the mounting bracket securely to the marked spots using screws and, if necessary, wall anchors.
- Mount Dispenser: Attach the paper towel dispenser to the bracket, ensuring it’s level and secured in place.
- Test Dispenser: Pull on a paper towel to check if it unrolls smoothly and securely.
- Load Paper Towels: Insert a roll of paper towels into the dispenser.
- Close Closet Door: Close the closet door to keep the paper towels neatly hidden while remaining easily accessible.
Method 6: Inside a Decorative Container:
Place paper towels inside a decorative container or basket that matches your kitchen decor. This can make them look more like a decorative element while still being accessible.
- Select a Container: Choose a decorative container to accommodate your paper towel rolls and complement your closet’s decor.
- Prepare the Container: Ensure the container is clean and dry, and remove any existing contents or inserts that may obstruct the paper towels.
- Measure and Trim: If needed, measure and trim the paper towel rolls to fit comfortably within the container.
- Insert Paper Towels: Place the paper towel rolls inside the container, stacking or arranging them neatly.
- Secure the Lid: If the container has a lid, secure it to keep the paper towels concealed.
- Place in Closet: Position the container in your closet in a convenient, accessible location.
Following these steps, you can effectively hide paper towels inside a decorative container in your closet while keeping them within reach when needed.
Method 7: Under the Countertop:
If you have space under your kitchen island or countertop overhang, you can install a paper towel holder underneath. It’s a discreet location that keeps the paper towels handy.
- Measure Placement: Decide where under the countertop you want the holder, typically on the cabinet’s side. Measure and mark the desired location.
- Mount Bracket: Attach the mounting bracket to the marked spot with screws, ensuring it’s level and secure. Use wall anchors if needed.
- Attach Holder: Insert the paper towel roll onto the holder’s spindle and place it on the bracket, securing it according to the holder’s design.
- Test: Pull a paper towel gently to ensure the holder is secure and the paper towels unroll smoothly.
- Adjust if Needed: If the placement isn’t right, loosen the bracket screws, reposition them, and then tighten them again.
- Load Paper Towels: Load the holder with paper towels, and you’re ready to use it.
Remember that the key to hiding paper towels effectively is to strike a balance between accessibility and aesthetics. Choose a method that works best for your kitchen layout and style while keeping paper towels within reach when needed.
Common mistakes while hiding paper towels in kitchen
- The most common mistake when hiding paper towels in the kitchen is placing them in plain sight. This defeats the purpose of hiding them and makes them easily accessible to anyone.
- Another mistake is storing paper towels in a location that is not easily reachable or convenient. This can lead to frustration and wasted time when trying to find them.
- Hiding paper towels in a damp or humid area, such as under the sink or near a window, can cause them to become damp or even moldy. It is important to choose a dry and clean hiding spot.
- Forgetting to restock the hidden paper towels is another common mistake. It is important to regularly check and refill the hiding spot to ensure you always have a fresh supply.
- Lastly, using a hiding spot that is easily discoverable by children or pets can lead to the paper towels being used or destroyed. It is important to choose a hiding spot that is out of reach and not easily accessible to others.
A well-organized kitchen is a joy to work in, and finding creative ways to hide paper towels can enhance the look and feel of your space. With various storage options, DIY ideas, and a focus on sustainability, you can keep your paper towels within reach while maintaining a clutter-free kitchen.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- How do you use less paper towels in the kitchen?
Minimize paper towel use in the kitchen by replacing them with eco-friendly options like cloth towels and washable napkins. Additionally, use them only when necessary for cleaning up spills and avoid wasteful practices to reduce environmental impact.
- Where is the best place to store kitchen towels?
The ideal spot to store kitchen towels is on a designated hook or bar near the sink for quick access. Keep them clean and hygienic by avoiding floor storage and ensuring they’re within arm’s reach for convenience.
- What are the benefits of hidden paper towel storage?
Hidden paper towel storage enhances kitchen aesthetics, reduces clutter, and maintains a streamlined look. It also keeps towels within reach, minimizes waste, and adds a touch of sophistication to your culinary space.
- How can I make my kitchen more eco-friendly?
Apart from using cloth towels, consider recycling and composting, and use eco-friendly kitchen products to reduce your environmental impact.